Friday, July 15, 2011

Chalk Board Frame

I love sweets! Who doesn't? One day I walked into a cupcake shop in Panama City and I saw it! They had their menus posted on chalk boards framed with awesome, bright colors frames.  I love the idea of chalk board paint and all of the fun uses it has, plus I LOVED these frames, so I decided to make one.

Supplies:



I was definitely going for the texture of the frame here!


Chalk Board spray paint, primer, color, and a glossy top coat.


For the chalk board I bought particle board which is really smooth on one side and is light weight.  


Step 1: Prime the frame to cover the previous colors and help the new color stand out.  Paint the board with the Chalk Board paint as directed, about three coats.


Step 2: Spray paint the frame the desired color, 2 coats.


Step 3:  Prepare the chalk board as directed on the paint can (rub a piece of chalk over the entire board).  Place the chalk board inside of the frame and attach the back of the frame.

This whole project cost about $30.  The frame was $18,  the paints were each about $3 to $5 and the board was $2.  I have the perfect place to hang this inside my new condo!  It will be great to leave notes or make shopping lists on.  One addition that would be fun to do is either use a piece of metal for the chalk board to make it magnetic, or spend about $20 on the magnetic paint available at Home Depot and paint that under the chalk board.

OMJ


No comments:

Post a Comment